Still wasting ziploc bags when I am at work. I forget to save and rinse to reuse! I'm hoping to get better about that. I wonder how long that silly ziploc bags stays in the landfill for (10-20 years)? I will have to look that up.
I read this sign at a trailhead last week:
How long will litter last?
Cigarette butts ------------------------ 1-5 years
Aluminum Cans and caps ----------------- 500 years
Glass Bottles -------------------------- 1,000 years
Plastic Bags --------------------------- 10-20 years
Plastic Coated Paper ------------------- 5 years
Plastic Film Containers ---------------- 20-30 years
Nylon Fabric --------------------------- 30-40 years
Leather -------------------------------- up to 50 years
Wool Socks ----------------------------- 1-5 years
Orange and Banana peels ---------------- up to 2 years
Tin Cans ------------------------------- 50 years
Plastic six-pac holders ---------------- 100 years
Plastic bottles and styrofoam ---------- Indefinitely
Waste Not
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
A comment from Kris...
Yeah not to mention baby diapers speaking of baby on the brain.
Lifted from http://www.yourguidetogreen.com/learn/articles/Cloth-Diapers-Do-Double-Duty
Single-use, throwaway products represent about 4 percent of solid waste nationwide. That translates to more than 25 billion disposable diapers, and represents the third largest single-consumer item in landfills.
If that sounds imposing, consider that the disposable diapers used by one baby in a family creates about fifty percent of the trash for the entire household!
Despite the water and energy used to wash cloth diapers, the manufacturing / cleaning of disposable diapers requires far more resources than cloth diapers do, including three and a half times more energy, about eight times the non-renewable resources, and 90 times the renewable resources.
Post a Comment